Nothing gets me pumped for a big roadtrip like music. Having the perfect roadtrip playlist is one of my top priorities when preparing for my trip.
What I listen to depends on what mood I’m in. Sometimes I just like to listen to whatever fun, dance-y pop songs have been stuck in my head lately. Having an upbeat roadtrip playlist definitely helps me to stay awake on those long drives. I’m not always feeling the pop vibe, though.
When I’m driving out west, I can’t help but get faux-nostalgia and start thinking about stories like Kerouac’s On the Road. Suddenly, all I want to listen to is my favorite songs from the 60s and 70s. I love adding classic rock to my roadtrip playlist, and I always throw in some 60s psychedelic jams. You know, anything that reminds me of the era of love, the era of rock n’ roll, the era of a new America.
Not that I was there, but like I said: faux-nostalgia.
This playlist is a mix of all that. It’s a mix of Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Simon & Garfunkel, and tons of other artists that are quintessentially 60s.
Add these songs to your Spotify playlist or make an old-fashioned mix CD (which is what I do), and hit the road!
The Great American Roadtrip Playlist
- Norwegian Wood – The Beatles
- I Am Waiting – The Rolling Stones
- America – Simon & Garfunkel
- Ramble On – Led Zeppelin
- Castles Made of Sand – Jimi Hendrix
- Rock & Roll – The Velvet Underground
- White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane
- My Generation – The Who
- Walk on the Wild Side – Lou Reed
- American Woman – The Guess Who
- California Dreamin’ – The Mamas & the Papas
- People Are Strange – The Doors
- Paint it Black – The Rolling Stones
- Manic Depression – Jimi Hendrix
- Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles
- Going to California – Led Zeppelin
- Magic Bus – The Who
- Sunshine of Your Love – Cream
- Star Baby – The Guess Who
- Strangers – The Kinks
What songs are on your roadtrip playlist? Leave me some suggestions in the comments!