If you’re shopping for someone who likes to travel, you’ve come to the right place. As a traveler myself, I have a long list of items that I know travelers need, plus a few things I know we all want. That’s why I put together this list of gift ideas for travelers. Hopefully it will make your travel gift shopping a little bit easier.
If you’re reading this and you’re the one that likes to travel, write down a few of these ideas for your own wish list. I definitely added a few things to my personal wish list after creating this guide.
My goal with this travel gift guide is to give you ideas that you can take into your own hands and personalize for your special giftee; as well as give you some very specific options in case you’re short on time.
I separated the travel gift ideas into sections to help you find the absolute perfect travel gift. There are options for stylish travelers, options for travel minimalists, and options for those of you who are simply on a tight gift-giving budget. You should be able to find something for every travel-lover on your list.
While this guide was created with the holidays approaching, these travel gifts are appropriate for any occasion, any time of year. Whether you’re shopping for Christmas, a birthday, or a just-because travel gift, these awesome travel gift ideas are exactly what any traveler wants.
This gift guide is titled as “37 Awesome Gift Ideas for Travelers” but I have linked to way more than 37 items. You’re bound to find the perfect travel gift here.
Travel Gift Guide – 37+ Awesome Gift Ideas for Travelers
Quick & Easy Gift Ideas for Travelers
These little gift ideas for travelers are simple presents that any traveler would love to open. And if you’re short on time or money, these are easy gifts to get.
- Travel Reads – When in doubt, give the gift of a new travel story. There are so many great travel books out there, for both inspiration and research. Some favorites are the Great Railway Bazaar or the latest Best American Travel Writing.
- Travel Magazine Subscription – For hardly any money at all, you can get a yearly subscription to a travel magazine. They’ll get one in the mail every month, so it’s the gift that keeps on giving. I suggest a subscription to National Geographic Traveler or Conde Nast Traveler.
- Lonely Planet Coloring Book – Coloring is fun. It’s a great way to pass the time on airplanes or buses, and sometimes you just need something to keep you busy. This travel coloring book by Lonely Planet features famous landmarks around the world.
- Travel Guide – Buy them a travel guide for whatever country they’re planning on visiting next. Or get them a couple of guide books for dream destinations to inspire their next trip. Lonely Planet makes great guidebooks for almost any place you can think of.
- Travel Journal – Encourage them to document their adventures by getting them a travel journal, or even just a travel-themed notebook. There are so many fun options. I like these pocket-size Rifle Paper Co. notebooks.
- Travel Calendar — A wall-, desk-, or pocket-calendar for the year ahead is such a simple yet useful gift idea for travelers. Find a fun travel-themed one to inspire their wanderlust. I love this Maps of the World wall calendar (another Rifle Paper Co. product!).
Fun & Interesting Gift Ideas for Travelers
Instead of the typical present, try out these interesting gift ideas for travelers for something a little different. This category includes some fun brands that I know other travelers will really love too.
- Airport Tag Merchandise – Airport Tag creates all kinds of merchandise (pillows, wall art, coffee mugs, toiletry bags, etc.) with airport labels on them. They make really fun travel gifts for any occasion.
- Anywhere Travel Guide – This deck of cards has various prompts to help travelers make the most of their experience, no matter where they are in the world. Each card will give you something to do, like asking a local about their favorite neighborhood or making your own souvenir.
- True South Puzzles – This puzzle company is based in the American south and makes really cool puzzles focused on various states, cities, and national parks in the USA.
- Wild Sam City Guides – There are tons of travel guide books out there in this world, but Wild Sam does it a little differently. Their city guides are focused on local aspects of a city, and include really cool illustrations and stories that help to define a place beyond tourist attractions.
- Scratch-off Map – Scratch-off travel maps are a fun way for travelers to keep track of where they’ve been. There are tons of options to choose from, including both world maps and country-specific. This map is big enough to become its own piece of art, and reveals colorful countries as you scratch them off.
- Portable Speaker – Get your traveler a portable speaker, like this one, so they can listen to music wherever they go. Having a portable speaker is especially great when staying in hostels, as it helps to create a communal atmosphere when travelers can listen to music together while getting to know each other.
- Kindle — Carrying around actual books can take up too much space. Kindles are super lightweight and easy to bring anywhere. Make it easier for them to read as much as they want while traveling with the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a built-in reading light too.
- Travel Map Wall Art — Most travelers like to decorate in a way that will remind them of their adventures. Mapiful makes custom travel maps to hang on the wall so they’ll always remember their favorite city.
- Pixter Phone Lenses – Smartphones are the camera of choice for most people. They take high-quality photos and they’re easy to carry around. These clip-on phone lenses give you even more options for great photos. The perfect gift for phone photographers.
- Try the World Subscription Box – This subscription box is the perfect gift for travelers who aren’t currently traveling. They may be at home for the time being, but they can still eat like a globetrotter. Every month, ingredients from a new destination are delivered to your door so you can put together a delicious meal. They also have a snack box! Use my referral link & you’ll get a free box with your subscription
Cute & Stylish Gift Ideas for Travelers
Just because we’re traveling all across the world doesn’t mean we have to look like we’re in a constant state of jet lag. These stylish gift ideas for travelers are for those that like to look good while on the road.
- Phone-charging Passport Wallet – This stylish wallet holds your passport and credit cards, AND it charges your phone on the go. It comes in multiple colors, with fun wanderlust-y phrases on the front.
- Stowaway Cosmetics – This cruelty-free line of makeup comes in travel-sized packaging. The range of makeup is perfect for traveling, and easy to throw into your carry-on.
- Headphones – A good set of headphones are essential for any traveler. Luckily there are plenty of options when it comes to brand, style, color, etc. This pair is foldable, wireless, and comes in multiple design options.
- Convertible Travel Garment — There are lots of convertible garments out there, and recently brands have created some really stylish ones. The best one is the Versalette, which can be worn in over 20 different ways (including as a skirt, dress, top, scarf, etc.). This gives you versatility in your travel outfits while keeping your luggage light.
- Weekend Bag — Every traveler needs a well-made weekend bag for those quick getaways and short trips. It makes it easy to pack light before catching a flight. This Herschel Supply Co. duffel bag comes in a variety of colors and materials, so it’s ideal for any traveler.
- Coordinates Jewelry — Customized, handmade jewelry always makes for a special gift. With coordinates jewelry, you can engrave the coordinates of your traveler’s favorite place in the world right onto a necklace or bracelet. It makes a beautiful souvenir or memory for them. I especially love this necklace, which comes in silver, gold, or rose gold.
- Passport Cover — A cute passport cover is the ultimate travel accessory. Ban.do makes really cute ones, like this one that says “I’m outta here”. They also make lots of other cute travel accessories for the stylish traveler.
- Globe-in Subscription Box – Globe-in is a really fun subscription-style gift service with a global mindset. They offer handmade and ethically-sourced goods from around the world, including things like beautiful linens, ceramics, and jewelry. You can buy a monthly subscription to get access to membership prices, or you can buy a one-time gift basket full of global goods, like this Bathe Box. Use code ‘WELCOME’ to get $10 off a subscription
Gift Ideas for Travelers that They Actually Need
As much as we all like to get frivolous presents that we’d never buy for ourselves, sometimes we’re just as happy to get something super practical. Here’s a few gift ideas for travelers who want to stick to the basics.
- Portable Charger – Keeping our phones charged is one of the most important things in this digital age. As travelers, we use them for maps, research, taking pictures, and of course, keeping in touch with loved ones. Giving them a portable charger means they’ll never have a dead battery again!
- Packing Cubes – A packing cube set should be essential for travelers. It helps to keep our stuff organized and right where we need it. It’s a simple gift, but sometimes practical is better than superfluous.
- Universal Power Adapter – A universal power adapter is another travel essential. These adapters will allow them to charge their devices in any country they end up in, so they don’t have to constantly buy new adapters.
- Collapsible Water Bottle – Staying hydrated is key, especially while on the road. A collapsible water bottle takes up almost no space when it’s empty and folded up. These are extra helpful for going through airport security.
- Travel Pillow — Sleeping while in transit can be tough. This travel pillow kit includes everything they need to get some rest on the plane (neck pillow, sleep mask, and earplugs).
- Wi-fi Hotspot – Finding good wi-fi around the world can be tough. Make it easy for them to connect, update their Facebook status, or upload a new blog post. These portable wi-fi hotspots really come in handy in a pinch.
- Travel First Aid Kit – A lot of travelers forget to pack a first-aid kit, but it can really come in handy. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, maybe some bandages, headache medicine, something for your stomach…This travel first-aid kit is the perfect gift for travelers, especially the more adventurous ones.
- Travel Accessories Gift Set – This gift set comes with a TSA lock, luggage scale, eye mask, ear plugs, a passport cover, and a travel adapter. It’s all the basics a traveler needs in one gift!
Gift Ideas for Travelers to Help Them Travel
Getting material items is fun, but every traveler will light up with glee when they find out they can travel just a little bit longer. Help support their travels with these gift ideas for travelers.
- AirBnB Gift card – With AirBnBs all over the world, a simple gift card can help them pay for accommodation wherever they go. Head to AirBnB and buy an e-gift for however much you want to give. Pssst: they can get an extra $40 credit to use on AirBnB if they create an account with my link
- Travel Insurance – It’s important to buy travel insurance for any trip, especially extended ones. It covers medical emergencies while abroad. Purchase a travel insurance plan for them to keep them protected on the road.
- Rosetta Stone – Learning another language helps travelers immerse themselves into new cultures. In some countries, knowing the local language is almost necessary in order to navigate and get by in daily interactions. Get your traveler a Rosetta Stone Language Learning package to help them learn whatever language their heart desires.
- Send Money Abroad – Sometimes, money is the simplest and most beneficial gift idea for travelers. And if they’re already abroad, it may be tough to send material items as presents. Use a safe money transferring service to send money straight to their bank account. You can send up to $500 abroad with no fees by using my link
- Backpack/Luggage – You can’t travel without something to put your stuff in! Whether they’re more of the backpacker type or someone who prefers a rolling suitcase, you can get them luggage to help them travel. Osprey makes great backpacks. Away makes a really awesome hard-shell suitcase. Use my link to get $20 off your purchase
What travel gifts are on YOUR wishlist?
Pin image to save & share!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you purchase something through my link, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps to keep Travel Daze up and running.
Interested in winning some of these gifts for yourself? Check out my #12DaysofTravelGifts Giveaway over on Twitter! Read my latest blog post to find out how to enter.